Make sure you sign up on my mailing list (just below on the right) before you leave! Your address is SUPER safe with me.

Friday, February 13, 2015

How Do YOU See It?

Summarizing today's post: Looking at the many different ways to view the same situation, & adjusting shutter speed to achieve different results in photography.

photography, moon
shot at 130mm, ISO 1250, f/5.6, 1/10th of a second

What makes us all unique is that we see things differently. That can be quite scary sometimes if you think about it too hard. How things are viewed so differently between groups of people can make nations go to war with each other.

Other times, it can be a beautiful thing. I do believe that the Good Lord made us all just a little bit different for reasons I am not sure of. If we all were the exact same, and liked the exact same foods, and all liked the exact same sports team (etc.), life would be pretty boring...wouldn't you agree?

What makes life so interesting, for example, is that my wife and I can be watching the same movie, or read the same book... talk about it afterwards, and interpret parts of it completely different. Pinky can bring to my attention things that I completely missed, and vice versa. Neat.

I can relate this concept to photography so easily. Look at the photograph above. It's a picture of the moon of course (at least it's obvious to me). You may see a bunch of clouds with a spotlight in the center of it, or maybe it's a freaking on-coming train in thick fog?? 


photography, moon
shot at 200mm, ISO 1250, f/5.6, 1/500th of a second
 
How about now? Yes, a little more obvious that you are looking at a photograph of the moon. It's the exact same moon, taken just seconds after the first photo. All I did to eliminate the clouds is increase my camera's shutter speed, limiting the amount of light coming in and hitting it's delicate sensor inside. You can see more detail in the face of the moon too.

Which photograph is "correct"? That's a matter of interpretation. I think they are both nice in their own way. I love taking photos of the moon, it can be so beautiful. I don't think any one way is more correct than the other personally.

Pretty neat. It makes me think about that whole concept of how we are all different and can see the exact same situation in completely opposite ways. 

Lesson? Maybe cut your spouse a little slack the next time you guys see things a little differently. After all, we are all beautifully human.

Have a wonderful weekend and thanks for reading!

Brant


Wow, look at you...you made it all the way thru my post! I really appreciate you as a reader. Don't forget to register your email for automatic updates up at the top. Please pass this blog post on to your friends using the Tweet, Facebook, and Google+ buttons. That would be awesome.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment