Make sure you sign up on my mailing list (just below on the right) before you leave! Your address is SUPER safe with me.

Monday, October 20, 2014

Photo Tip Monday: Keep Your Background Clean

Summarizing today's post: Photo tip for wildlife photography, snapshots, & carrying your camera with you always.

colorful bug photo
snapshot using available light
Happy Monday! 

Yes, even if you have to get up and go to work this morning like most of the world, it's still a happy Monday. You're vertical aren't you? Some folks are not so lucky!

Let's be thankful to the good Lord that we have jobs to go to so we can keep the heat on and food on the table. I know I am.

So it's Monday and that means I have a quick photo tip for you. This one is so simple, but important none-the-less.  

Take a look at this beautiful little insect at the left. I had stepped outside one day at work and saw this colorful little creature just sitting on the side of a car taking a break. Of course...I had to take a quick photo.

Look at him, then look at his surroundings. What don't you see? 

How about clutter and even dirt particles in the background? That's right.

How much would it have detracted from the photograph of this little guy if the surface he was perched on was filthy? Probably a lot. If he were sitting on the side of a nasty car that hadn't been washed in 3 years, it may have been enough for me not to even bother to take the shot. The dirty surface would have easily taken away from his beauty. I would have just enjoyed a few seconds of watching him and then walked off in that case.

So this got me to thinking. While there's not a whole lot I can do about the cleanliness of things away from home, I can do something about it on my own property. How many times has it happened that I haven't taken a photo of some cool-looking creature that landed on my patio table because I hadn't taken the time to wipe it down in a a week or so? (Admittedly, I still may have snapped a photo, but I'd never show it to anyone!)

Photo tip for today: Take notice of where you often see insects and wildlife stop off around your home (for the sole purpose, of course, to allow you to take a photo of them). Then make it a point to wipe down those areas from time to time and remove the clutter. You will thank yourself later when your little friends return.

You'll make your snapshot (which is all that my photo above really is, truthfully) into a much more appealing piece of art that you can show off.

Have a great Monday and thanks for reading. Don't forget to carry your camera with you today as you walk out the door!

Brant

Wow, look at you...you made it all the way thru my post! I really appreciate you as a reader. Don't forget to register your email for automatic updates up at the top. Please pass this blog post on to your friends using the Tweet, Facebook, and Google+ buttons. That would be awesome.


No comments:

Post a Comment