Make sure you sign up on my mailing list (just below on the right) before you leave! Your address is SUPER safe with me.

Friday, November 14, 2014

Happiness In The Little Things

Summarizing today's post : Finding happiness in the little things, family time, capturing these awesome little experiences with your photography skills, & some photo tips for outdoor shooting.

photography, picnic
shot at 32mm, ISO 200, f/11, 1/250th of a second, on-camera fill balanced with ambient light
A few weeks ago we had the opportunity to go on a quick little picnic. It was a gorgeous 65-degree day with hardly any clouds in the sky. We took advantage of the opportunity and headed down to the "Town Commons" in Greenville, NC.

photography, picnic
shot at 36mm, ISO 200, f/11, 1/250th of a second, on-camera fill balanced with ambient light
When we arrived, we immediately headed down to the water's edge (Tar River) and found a nice spot to spread out our blanket. Since we had a stiff breeze coming out of the north, we situated ourselves so that we were mostly in the sun. Nice and comfy

I, of course, had my camera with me hoping that we might see some early fall colors, but none to be found just yet. That's okay because I had a couple of models right ready to pose for me :) 

I put my camera to good use and captured our fun day. Talk about happiness in the simple things... nothing could be simpler than a picnic, yet it turned out to be so much fun

pinic, photography
shot at 70mm, ISO 200, f/8, 1/320th of a second, ambient light only
I have touched on taking photos in fun-on sun before (see here) and I utilized some of these same techniques here. In the 2 images at top I added a little on-camera fill lighting from my flash to lighten the shadows across Pinky and Gavin's faces. Nothing fancy, just something to balance the ambient light.

picnic, photography
shot at 18mm, ISO 200, f/8, 1/250th of a second, on-camera fill balanced with ambient light
My sweet Pinky had to grab the camera and play a little herself, as she couldn't stand for me not to be in some of the shots. She did an awesome job in capturing Little Bud and I horse-playing a bit, don't you think? I think this photo of Gavin's expression is the best of all, so natural and not forced. 

It was such a fun and priceless day. Simple and inexpensive fun with the family.

When was the last time you went on a picnic? You ought to try it as we still have some nice fall days left before heading into the winter months. Carry your camera of course and capture YOUR happiness along the way.

Thanks for reading and have a nice Friday!

Brant
     
Wow, look at you...you made it all the way thru my post! I really appreciate you as a reader. Don't forget to register your email for automatic updates up at the top. Please pass this blog post on to your friends using the Tweet, Facebook, and Google+ buttons. That would be awesome.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment