Make sure you sign up on my mailing list (just below on the right) before you leave! Your address is SUPER safe with me.

Monday, November 3, 2014

Photo Tip Monday: Changing Perspective

Summarizing today's post: Photo tips and tricks, changing your position/angle as photographer, & giving a new perspective. 

sun behind tree
shot at 18mm, ISO 200, f/8, 1/250th of a sec, ambient light only
I hope everyone had a nice and safe Halloween and a wonderful weekend that followed. Its so hard to believe that it is November already...Thanksgiving is only a few weeks away. Then Christmas! Wow. Time is flying by, and 2014 will be in the history books before long. Mercy. 

I want fall to hold on a little longer. My wife and I love this time of year when the leaves are bright and colorful. May it stay a while before wintertime hits.

Okay, today is Monday, and that means I have a quick photo tip for you! Let's talk about changing perspective. 

On a recent trip to the park a couple weeks ago, I went out with the camera in hopes of catching a few leaves turning colors. I was a bit too early, the foliage was mostly still green. Dang it. I wasn't going to NOT shoot something tho. [If you have read my post on the Camerawith! Challenge, you'll know why (see here). In short...when you bring along your camera, you will look for things to photograph!]

There was a beautiful little cedar tree in the corner of the park that interested me. Instead of photographing it head-on, I decided to change my perspective and walk underneath it and shoot looking straight up. With the sun shining thru its needles, it turned out to be a pretty interesting shot. I thought I'd share it with you. Technically speaking, it is not correctly exposed (its a little too dark and contrasty), but I like it. It would look nice on a canvas as more of an artsy piece, what do you think?

Photographing head-on would have yielded just an everyday looking tree. Especially since the sun was directly overhead almost (never the best time to take an outdoor shot).

Sometimes it's just about changing your camera position and your perspective. 

Don't be scared to lay on your back under a tree and try this sometime. You'll be amazed at what you can produce. Play with your shutter speed if you have a DSLR camera to get different results. Even if you have a point-and-shoot camera, you can still have a fun time. 

Just go play.

Thanks for reading and have a great Monday!

Brant

Wow, look at you...you made it all the way thru my post! I really appreciate you as a reader. Don't forget to register your email for automatic updates up at the top. Please pass this blog post on to your friends using the Tweet, Facebook, and Google+ buttons. That would be awesome.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment