Make sure you sign up on my mailing list (just below on the right) before you leave! Your address is SUPER safe with me.

Monday, September 8, 2014

Photo Tip Monday: Patience & Photography

Summarizing today's post: Photo tips, patience in photography, & balancing ambient light with flash.

70mm, ISO 800, f/5.6, 1/30th of a sec, strobe 1/16th power
It's Photo Tip Monday, and that means I have a quick tip for you to help improve your photography skills.

Everyone has heard the phrase "Patience is a virtue". 

That can't be more true in photography.

I wanted to get a simple shot of Penelope yesterday and she was giving me a hard time. She wouldn't look at me for the world! I tried everything. 

Then I remembered my own advice (see the post where Gavin was trying my patience here) and walked away. Best thing to do.

What was the alternative? I couldn't force her to "pose nicely" for me. Nope, so I just walked away and tried again later.

I have learned over the years that I had rather not get a photo at all if it is "forced". That is one of my pet peeves (no pun intended). I'd rather just try again at another time.

And then it happened. I walked past the bedroom about an hour later and found that Penelope was awake and sitting up just as pretty as a picture on the bed. Tail all curled around her and everything.

I set my camera up for the correct exposure, wanting to mix the available light in the room with my own light. I figured that pointing my strobe straight up at the ceiling at about 1/16th power would do it. With a high ISO setting, wide aperture, and fairly slow shutter speed, my light mixed in just right.

Then all I did was simply catch her eye with my finger and raised my hand up toward the ceiling. She followed it for a split second (thinking I had a treat for her I'm sure), and click...pretty nice shot. 

I was happy. And she was too...because I then left her alone.

Patience and Photography...both start with "P". Lesson learned, again.

Thanks for reading, have a great Monday!

Brant

Wow, look at you...you made it all the way thru my post! I really appreciate you as a reader. Don't forget to register your email for automatic updates up at the top. Please pass this blog post on to your friends using the Tweet, Facebook, and Google+ buttons. That would be awesome.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment